Rwanda, a small country in East Africa, is known for its stunning natural beauty, diverse…
Covid-19 Restrictions in Kigali City. Kigali city and the Districts of Burera, Gicumbi, Kamonyi, Musanze, Nyagatare, Rubavu, Rwamagana, and Rutsiro are under Covid 19 restrictions as bellow;
Measures for the areas of the country named above, are as follows;
- Movements are prohibited between 6:00 PM and 4:00 AM. All businesses must close by 5:00 PM.
- Movements between districts are not allowed, except for medical reasons and other essential services.
- All social gatherings including celebrations of all kinds are prohibited, both in public and private settings. Traditional, civil, and religious weddings are prohibited.
- Physical meetings may continue but must not exceed 30 percent of venue capacity, and negative COVID-19 results are required for all participants.
- Restaurants and cafés may operate at 30 percent capacity and may receive clients until 5:00 PM. All bars remain closed.
- Places of worship adhering to health guidelines may continue to operate at 30 percent capacity.
- Attendance at wakes or vigils (ikiriyo) must not exceed 10 people at any one time. Funeral gatherings must not exceed 15 people.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? Yes
- Movements between Kigali and other provinces and movements between districts across the country are prohibited except for medical reasons and other essential services. Individuals requiring movements for essential services may request movement clearance from the Rwandan authorities online here. The U.S. Embassy does not recommend attempting to move throughout the country without an approved movement clearance.
- Travelers, including drivers, traveling to tourism entities within Kigali and other provinces and districts are required to complete and submit movement requests through the Tourism Movement Facilitation Form found here. Travelers are also required to send copies of negative COVID-19 test results to firstname.lastname@example.org least 24 hours prior to the trip. More information is found here.
- Movements and visits outside the home are not permitted (lockdown) except for essential services such as healthcare, food shopping, or banking (or personnel performing such services).
- Outdoor sports and recreational activities are prohibited.
- Public transport is prohibited. Motorcycle taxis and bicycles are not permitted to carry passengers but may offer delivery services.
- Offices (public and private) are closed, except for those providing essential services.
- Businesses are closed, except for those selling food, medicine, and other approved essential items but will operate at 30 percent capacity. Businesses permitted to operate must close at 5:00 PM.
- Arriving and departing passengers at Kigali International Airport must present a negative COVID-19 PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure.
- Tourism activities will continue in strict adherence to COVID-19 health guidelines. This includes hotels, tour operators, and transport services assisting guests.
- All swimming pools and spas will remain closed except for those at hotels hosting tested guests.
The measures listed above also apply to the following sectors, in addition to the City of Kigali and eight other districts named above, from July 28 – August 10, 2021:
- Southern Province:
- Ruhango District: Sectors of Kinazi, Mbuye, Ntongwe, Ruhango, Byimana and Kinihira
- Muhanga District: Sectors of Shyogwe, Kiyumba, Cyeza, Nyamabuye, Rugendabari, Muhanga and Mushishiro
- Nyamagabe District: Sectors of Kamegeri, Kibumbwe, Gasaka and Mugano
- Huye District: Sectors of Tumba, Kinazi and Gishamvu
- Nyanza District: Sectors of Busoro, Mukingo, Kibilizi and Kigoma
- Nyaruguru District: Sector of Ngera.
- Northern Province:
- Rulindo District: Sectors of Cyungo, Burega and Shyorongi
- Eastern Province:
- Kayonza District: Sectors of Mukarange, Mwiri, Gahini, Murundi, Rukara and Nyamirama
- Bugesera District: Sectors of Rilima, Juru, Nyamata Ruhuha and Shyara
- Gatsibo District: Sectors of Muhura, Kageyo, Remera, Kabarore and Murambi.
- Western Province:
- Nyamasheke District: Sectors of Nyabitekeri, Shangi and Bushenge.
- Rusizi District: Sectors of Nyakabuye and Gitambi.
- Karongi District: Sector of Murambi.